I suggest you ...

Fix HTTP Header / Filename on "free look" downloads

Jim reported some odd behavior with Firefox apparently trying to display the raw text of PDFs inline because PACER doesn't send them properly. Maybe we can fix this.

http://recapthelaw.uservoice.com/forums/26501-general/suggestions/290837

4 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    sjschultzesjschultze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • sjschultzesjschultze commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Jim, you are correct that RECAP doesn't activate until you are logged into PACER or CM/ECF. I do think that even if you were logged in, as long as you access a document via the "free look" link, that you are not charged (but I have not tested this). In any case, I can see how it would be nice to have a proper download. Also, for what it's worth, I don't think it's fair to call this a Firefox problem. It's really a PACER problem because they aren't sending a sensible header or filename (presuming my guess is correct). Internet Explorer is just going more out of its way to correct their error than Firefox is.

• JimJim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe the problem may be that Recap doesn't recognize that you are on a CM/ECF Court site when the email relating to a filing comes in. Having to log into the Pacer system, at which point the Recap program recognizes that it is dealing with Pacer, costs money. I don't doubt it is a Firefox problem, since the problem is greatly reduced or eliminated by using Internet Explorer, which I prefer not to do. I would like to have the option to have Recap start and operate when I click on the link to the document that is linked to the Court's email notifying counsel that a filing has taken place.

Feedback and Knowledge Base